Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) may be initially diagnosed based on the severity and frequency of symptoms, along with a patient’s response to protein pump inhibitors (PPIs). It should be noted that neither symptoms or a patient’s response to medication are enough to confirm a GORD diagnosis and identify an appropriate treatment. Therefore, it is important to have objective testing which can determine whether your symptoms are caused by GORD.
If you are concerned about your reflux symptoms, you should make an appointment with your doctor. Following this conversation, you may be referred for diagnostic tests.
Diagnostic tests are so important for patients suffering with Reflux symptoms. You cannot fix something if you do not know what is wrong. The first and most important step in treating your reflux symptoms is to accurately diagnose the cause.
There are a variety of different diagnostic tests that are used to diagnose GORD. These include:
- Gastroscopy - https://refluxuk.com/symptoms-and-diagnosis/diagnostic-tests/gastroscopy/
- Oesophageal Manometry - https://thefunctionalgutclinic.com/helping-you/diagnostic-tests/oesophageal-manometry/
- Catheter Reflux Testing - https://thefunctionalgutclinic.com/helping-you/diagnostic-tests/reflux-testing/
- Bravo Catheter-Free Reflux testing - https://refluxuk.com/symptoms-and-diagnosis/diagnostic-tests/bravo-catheter-free-reflux-testing/
- Breath Test - https://thefunctionalgutclinic.com/helping-you/diagnostic-tests/sibo-breath-test/
- ENT Tests - https://refluxuk.com/symptoms-and-diagnosis/diagnostic-tests/ear-nose-throat-tests/
- Respiratory Tests - https://refluxuk.com/symptoms-and-diagnosis/diagnostic-tests/respiratory-tests/
- LPR Testing - https://thefunctionalgutclinic.com/helping-you/diagnostic-tests/laryngopharyngeal-reflux-test/
Discussing Gastro-oesophageal Reflux Disease with Dr Anthony Hobson
"In this weeks episode we talk to Dr. Anthony Hobson from The Functional Gut Clinic based at number 22 Wimpole Street. As an expert in gut function, and a world renowned clinical scientist, today we take the opportunity to talk to Dr. Hobson about Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, or what's more commonly known as acid reflux. Dr. Hobson details the physiological process of digestion and common causes for acid reflux; as well as educating us on the impacts of stress on gut function. He focuses the conversation on the complications of chronic or untreated acid reflux and we conclude on the well rounded aims and approach of The Functional Gut Clinic. This episode is jam packed with actionable information for all especially as we approach this holiday season." - The Harley Street Edit Podcast