The OPA holds insurance which covers volunteers and Trustees as if they were Employees. Any person who is a voluntary helper whilst working under our control on OPA business is covered by our Employers Liability policy which protects them in respect of injury disease or illness for which the OPA is legally liable. Similarly the public is protected against injury caused for which we are liable under our Public and Products Liability Policy. Insurance certificates are available.
It is important for volunteers to ensure that they obtain OPA permission to work on our behalf and we have a procedure in place to ensure that this can be done easily. For coordinators and Trustees there is no special process but for other activities, especially fundraising, it is very important that the OPA is provided with full detail of the activity and acknowledges that you have our permission to carry it out on our behalf.
Our insurance policies have limits on the types of activity covered so it is important that we know what is proposed in advance. Almost all activities are covered but, for example, we are not covered for:
- Events where combined numbers of spectators and entrants exceeds 1000
- Events outside the UK
- Third party organised events
- Events involving weapons, fairground ride type devices, animal rides, ballooning, parachuting and the like, go karting, quad biking motor sports, bungee jumping
- Professional sports teams or people
- Exhibitions valued at more than £250,000.00
- Racing or time trials unless on foot
- Activity involving watercraft
Any queries or questions, please email email@example.com or call 0121 704 9860.